The Richmond Theatre Critics Circle was established in 2008 with the sole purpose of recognizing excellence in Richmond-area professional theater through the nomination and presentation of annual awards. It’s the hope of the RTCC that this public recognition and celebration will bring more attention to the high calibre of live performance in central Virginia.
The annual black-tie event where the RTCC awards — or Artsies — are presented was organized not just as a celebration, but as a charitable event with all proceeds benefiting the Theatre Artists Fund of Greater Richmond. This Fund provides emergency assistance to theater professionals who find themselves in dire financial circumstances, often because of a medical condition. Over the past years, the annual Artsies events have resulted in several thousand dollars being contributed to the Fund.
Current members of the Circle are:
- Claire Boswell, Style Weekly
- Tony Farrell, Richmond Times-Dispatch
- Rich Griset, Style Weekly
- Julinda Lewis, RVArt Review
- Jerry Williams, Sifter / WRIR-FM
- Susie Haubenstock, BroadwayWorld (Emeritus)
- John Porter (Provisional & Emeritus)
- David Timberline, Style Weekly / Dave’s Theatre Blog (Emeritus)
- Julie Turner, InkQueery (Provisional)
The THEATRE ALLIANCE PANEL consists of community members who are not affiliated with any theatre. They’re nominated by the Richmond Theatre Alliance and attend the eligible shows. Their input is included in the Artsies nomination process (read more about that here).
Current TAP members are:
- Karen Newton
- Alan Sader
- Pat Vastano
- Amy Wight (who is the RTCC administrator also serves on TAP)