The Richmond Theatre Critics Circle was established in 2008 with the sole purpose of recognizing excellence in Richmond-area professional theater through the nomination and presentation of annual awards. It’s the hope of the RTCC that this public recognition and celebration will bring more attention to the high calibre of live performance in central Virginia.
The annual black-tie event where the RTCC awards — or Artsies — are presented was organized not just as a celebration, but as a charitable event with all proceeds benefiting the Theatre Artists Fund. This Fund provides emergency assistance to theater professionals who find themselves in dire financial circumstances, often because of a medical condition. Over the past years, the annual Artsies events have resulted in several thousand dollars being contributed to the Fund.
Current members of the Circle are:
- Claire Boswell, Style Weekly
- Tony Farrell, Richmond Times-Dispatch
- Rich Griset, Style Weekly
- Julinda Lewis, Richmond Times-Dispatch
- Susie Haubenstock, Richmond Times-Dispatch
- John Porter, WCVE
- Jerry Williams, Sifter / Richmond Magazine / WRIR-FM
- David Timberline (Emeritus)
The RTCC bylaws are available here.